To give you an idea of the breadth of news focusing on suicide, I've compiled a few of the most current and compelling articles and listed them below:
Interesting follow up comments to Rae's article to include:
- "Suicide prevention at odds with right to die" by Susan Martinuk
- "The tragic death of Chris Peloso shows we must treat depression like we can see it" by Tim Powers
2. "Reducing suicides in Canada: 'This is something we need to do'" by Sammy Hudes (via Ottawa Citizen).
3. "I've Tried to Commit Suicide and It's Not a Solution" by Andrew Lawton (via Huffington Post).
4. "Bullying, suicide raise complex health issues" by Alison Auld (via Metro News).
5. "As media coverage of suicides becomes more common, debate rages over whether that is a positive change" by Tom Blackwell (via National Post).
Also many are unaware that there are in fact media reporting guidelines for suicide. The Canadian Psychiatric Assosciation has published these guidelines, and evidence supporting their use, which can be found here: http://publications.cpa-apc.org/media.php?mid=733&xwm=true.